Wednesday, April 4, 2012

me kissing Lisa

Lisa Nicks is, of course, a dancer. I should do a count, figure out my percentage of dancers to everyone else on this blog.

Like the other Austin dancers I kissed this past weekend, I first became aware of Lisa when she joined the Kathy Dunn Hamrick Dance Company some years ago. I recall different things about Lisa's early days with Kathy, but it was when she danced a solo that I really sat up and took notice. It was in the context of having seen a few disappointing solos and beginning to lose faith in soloist in general.

Then I saw Lisa and I thought, "That's how it's done!"

Lisa's career started well before the KDHDC, most notably spending many years in New York City with the Doug Elkins Dance Company. She's now a founding member of Austin's newest company, Circuitous Dance / Kate Warren, which as I've mentioned before, was my reason for being in Austin to begin with.

I should also note Lisa's other creative outlet: postage stamp collage. It's pretty amazing stuff. Check out her website and be amazed how a bold dancer of big solos also sits still to create these pieces of art with postage stamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment