Sunday, August 12, 2012

may light perpetual shine

This is the sort of post I hadn't predicted that I would write when i started this little kissing project.

I'm writing on a Sunday. Just last Thursday, I kissed Jeremy Choate and posted it here. Last night, while waiting at a red light on his motorcycle, a driver rear-ended him. This afternoon, he died.

My Facebook news feed is a torrent of shock and grief. As I posted just three days ago, he was a common denominator between so many theater, dance, and music companies in Houston. The entire performing arts community is rocked. (To add anger to the grief, the driver fled the scene of the accident---on foot---instead of rendering aid. Senseless . . . )

He was a talented light artist. What's more, I've never heard anyone say anything bad about him. It seems we all admired him for his artistry, but he was much beloved for being Jeremy.

I didn't know him that well. We were in the same room at the same time on many, many occasions, but I can't say I really knew him. I have the post from last Thursday only because he saw another post about this blog on Facebook, wherein I said I'd kissed many of the dance community and was starting in on the theater community. He asked how he'd been missed or did I only kiss girls. I said I kissed boys and the next time I saw him, I'd have my camera ready.

And so I did. I wrote Thursday that I felt lucky to have had that moment of his reflected cool. I still feel that way only multiplied by and unnameable number.

He was 33. He leaves behind 2 little girls. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers as they grieve the loss of their daddy.

1 comment: